Wednesday, November 21, 2018

News Roundup - November 21, 2018: Android Auto!

So one of the things that is missing from my Miata is Android Auto. I had it built in to the Acura system when I had that car and really liked the integration. Unfortunately, Mazda really only started to deliver cars with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as part of the infotainment system with some limited 2018 models and they are expanding for 2019. Definitely behind the curve in my opinion. So today's first article was particularly interesting to me.


Android Auto spotted in the U.S.

I've seen some DIY videos and others posts regarding the upgrade to add Android Auto to current generation Mazda Miatas. This article points out a U.S. dealer who is starting to offer this option. Interestingly enough, I was scheduling the first service appointment for my Miata and noticed the online system had an option to get this installed. Unfortunately, the Mazda dealer's online appointment system does not list prices for services/repairs, so I did not want to commit just yet. I'll ask about it when I go in though.

Hopefully my car will be one that qualifies for a free upgrade. I'll still be a little bit hesitant though as they have to take apart significant portions of the dash and center console to perform the addition (they put in a new high-powered USB port and then a bunch of new cables have to connect to the different components, including the controller in the middle of the console). Not really sure I want them taking apart my brand new car so soon after getting it.

Holiday Mazda Provides Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Upgrades to Many Mazda Models

Date Car!

This is certainly an interesting take on reviewing the new MX-5 Miata. How does it do as a "date" car. I'm really not sure how it would be any different, but wouldn't mind testing that out.

Date cars don’t get much better than the manual Mazda MX-5

Moose!

Finally, a short article and video of an MX-5 Miata doing some obstacle collision avoidance manuevers. I found it interesting that they note the significant body roll of the car despite performing extremely well. I noticed the same thing when I drove the Dragon even though I did not sense the body roll so much when driving. It does have me wondering whether I want to do some things like beefing up the sway bars to keep it flatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment