Thursday, August 16, 2018

The first thing...

2018 Mazda MX-5 Miata all weather mat - driver side. Note the mounting post/port.
I'm still working on a longer post about how I ended up with a Miata for my current daily driver (and only car). But, I have to get going and help my daughters get moved off to college so I'm just going to quickly crank out this shorter entry.

I've never been big into the whole modding vehicles scene. Not sure why, but for the most part I much prefer my cars to stay stock or very close to it. I also tend to shy away from any mods that are destructive in nature. In my MINI, pretty much anything I did was stuff no one would ever see like the mod to always put it in Sport mode when I started it up.

So any changes to the Miata will likely being incredibly boring to auto enthusiasts. Case in point, the first thing I purchased for the new Miata was a set of all weather floor mats. I had rubber all-weather mats in both the MINI and the Acura and I've gotten to the point where they are really one thing I really like having in a car due to the protection it provides for the carpet and the reduced worry about getting in with wet, muddy shoes.
The passenger side mat. I still need to figure out why there is a big hump in the passenger footwell.
I did discover that Mazda has what seems to be a nice system for keeping the mats in place. It consists of a couple posts that are mounted in the carpet. The mats themselves (both the new all weather ones as well as the carpet ones that came with the car) have nicely finish holes to snap in place on the posts. Much nicer than the old velcor system that MINI used a decade ago. I never figured out how the Acura mats were latched down, but they appeared complicated.

The original carpet mats that came with the Miata. You can see how dirty the driver mat is after just a few days. Thanks to having to park in a dirt/gravel lot where I work.
I will note that the carpet mats I took out seem to be rather thin to me. I guess that is part of the attempt to save weight and cost. For me, it was also a little bit of an adjustment to not have to worry about mats for the back seat (though the MINI had no mats for the back seat). I also see where trays are made for the trunk. I may get one of those eventually as I really like the one I had in the Acura.

No comments:

Post a Comment